Contact our hydration specialists in Newport Beach to learn more about IV therapy and boost shots
Benefits of hydrochloric acid in IV therapy
<<All IV Drip Ingredients
What is hydrochloric acid?
Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is produced naturally in the stomach and is the main component of the gastric acids that let you break down and digest food. (Hydrochloric acid is also manufactured synthetically for industrial use.)
For IV infusions, HCl is diluted and buffered (put in a stable solution to maintain the desired pH level).
What is hydrochloric acid good for, in terms of health?
Hydrochloric acid fights infection & promotes healthy digestion.
IV hydrochloric acid has actually been in use in the medical field for several decades. It was often used to stimulate the immune system to help fight infection, but became less popular after antibiotics were introduced. With the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections, HCl is once again being used for its antimicrobial properties.1
Hydrochloric acid kills bacteria and viruses in the stomach before they have a chance to spread infection. Too little HCl in your stomach puts you at higher risk of infection and damage to your gastrointestinal tract.
HCl is also essential for proper digestion. Low stomach acid can lead to a number of uncomfortable symptoms, including:
- Feeling bloated/gassy
- Stomach upset, nausea & diarrhea
- Wanting to eat even though you know you’re not hungry
Chronic or severe HCl deficiency impairs your body’s ability to absorb essential nutrients from the food you eat. This can lead to more serious symptoms including:
- Vitamin & mineral deficiencies
- Protein deficiency
- Weak, brittle hair and/or fingernails
- Undigested food passing through digestive system
There are several different chronic health conditions linked to insufficient stomach acid, including allergies, thyroid problems, skin issues, autoimmune disorders, and metabolic alkalosis2.
What causes low HCl?
There are several different things that can cause low levels of stomach acid:
- Stomach surgery, including gastric bypass surgery
- Long-term use of medications such as antacids or PPIs
- Chronic stress
- Being 65 years of age or older
- Being deficient in B-vitamins or zinc
- Having a feeding tube
If you’re suffering from indigestion and want to know how IV therapy can help, just call or visit our clinic. Our medical professionals are happy to answer your questions and recommend a specific treatment.
Hydrochloric acid IV therapy in Orange County
Our Cold & Flu IV therapy drip includes HCl, as one of many beneficial substances to help you fight a viral infection faster.
Any treatment in our IV menu can be customized with add-on Boosts. We can also create a custom formula based on your unique health concerns and goals.
Book treatment online or contact our Costa Mesa hydration clinic with any questions.
- Barbaric D, Curtin J, Pearson L, Shaw PJ. Role of hydrochloric acid in the treatment of central venous catheter infections in children with cancer. Cancer. 2004 Oct 15;101(8):1866-72. doi: 10.1002/cncr.20562. PMID: 15386305.
- Wagner CW, Nesbit RR Jr, Mansberger AR Jr. Treatment of metabolic alkalosis with intravenous hydrochloric acid. South Med J. 1979 Oct;72(10):1241-5. doi: 10.1097/00007611-197910000-00008. PMID: 482977.